Friday, November 16, 2012

Character Paper Bag Project

We are just about to wind up a reading unit on realistic fiction. This week we did a project featuring one of the characters we'd met during read alouds. Students chose a character and then completed a little project. I have pictures of my sample and then some student samples to share.

On the front students had to draw an accurate picture of their character, write the character's name, the title of their book, and the author. I just can't draw boy hair to save my life...poor Big Anthony!

On one side of the bag kids had to choose three internal characteristics that described their character and give specific evidence from the text to support their thinking.

On the back of the bag, students had to write about whether or not the character changed in the story. If the character didn't change, the student had to give evidence to support their thinking. If the character did change, the student had to tell how the character was different and what brought about the change.

We talked about making predictions about how a character would handle a situation. On this side of the bag students had to write what their character would do if they found a bag of money. Some of the student responses on this part were hilarious!

Inside the bag we had kids think about what material possessions their character might have with them. They had to identify the three items and explain their thinking and reasoning for including each item.

These projects turned out great and the kids really enjoyed working on them!
Here's a work product based on Miss Rumphius.





And another sample based on Mo Willems' Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed. We had a great discussion about the items Wilbur would have with him and I forgot to take a picture! The student included a bow tie, fancy watch, and other jewelry to help Wilbur complete his snazzy outfits.




Here's the last sample. This child chose the character Andrew from Eve Bunting's Fly Away Home. this is a serious story about a boy and his father living in an airport. The items the student thought Andrew would have as possessions included a tip from someone (coins), a cheap book, and a suitcase.







7 comments:

  1. I looovvvvvve this idea!!! We just finished reading a class read aloud..Because of Winn Dixie and I was looking for a great follow-up project...I think I found it!! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I'm thinking about adapting this for my freshmen and sophomores. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! I will tried it in my bilingual classroom. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! ��������

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a clever and creative way to teach students about Character Traits! Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is soo creative!! I will use this with my 5th grade class. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I love this! I can't wait to try this! Great idea and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete