Saturday, September 15, 2012

Writers Use Strategies To Get Ideas

Perhaps the most often heard comment during writer's workshop at the beginning of the year is, "I can't think of anything to write about!" We've spent the last two weeks working on giving kids strategies to try (or putting tools in their writing toolbox, as I like to say) when they are tasked with writing.

On Wednesday we took a look at our last strategy - thinking, wondering and questioning. Kids are natural questioners. I read somewhere that the average four year old asks over 400 questions a day, and after living with my son (who won the "Curious Learner" award in his class last year!) let me tell you I believe it! This strategy lets kids tap into that natural curiosity. There is no question too big or too small.  Share your own questions and let the kids take it from there. We had a lot of fun with this one.

These are my questions/wonderings in my notebook. I'll take any chance I get to color! It gets the kids interested in what we are doing because third graders don't get to color too often and most still enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment